Women and Violence: the Agency of Victims and
Perpetrators, Department of Philosophy, University of
Birmingham, June 17
Institute of Germanic and Romance Studies (IGRS), University of
London, March 1-2
- Global Justice, the Environment, and the Economy,
Annual Conference, CSWIP, University of Victoria, October 14-16
- Feminism, Science, and
Values, International Association of
Women Philosophers, Rotman Institute for
Science and Values and Department of Philosophy, University of
Western Ontario, June 25-28
Women in Philosophy: a
Reflective Symposium, Department of
National University, August 10
- Natality, Embodiment and the Political:
Feminist Conversations, University of Dundee,
- Pregnancy, Childbirth and Mothering,
Department of Philosophy, University of Oregon, May 14-16
at the Crossroads, Annual Spring Meeting and
Conference, Society for Women in Philosophy, Eastern Division (ESWIP),
John Carroll University, March 28
Women and Society Conference,
Women's Studies, Marist College, October 24-25
- Multiculturalism and Feminism, Thirteenth Symposium,
International Association of Women Philosophers, Ewha Women's
University, Seoul, July 27-29
What is Masculinity? How useful is it as a Historical
Category?, Birkbeck College, University of London, May 15-16
- Thinking About the Sex / Gender Distinction, Department of
Philosophy, Lancaster University, February 8
- Spring Meeting, Pacific Division of the Society for Women in
Philosophy, University of California, Los Angeles, May 19
- Performing Gender, an Interdisciplinary Conference in Women's
Studies, Middle Tennessee State University, February 22-24
(Contingent) Iterations. Performative Correspondences of
Memory and Gender, Freie Universitaet Berlin, November 3-4
Security, Trust and Conflict, Canadian Society for Women in
Philosophy, Trent University, October 27-29
Philosophy, Art and Feminism in Society, Society for
Women in Philosophy UK Conference, Goldsmiths College, London, October 27
Feminism and War, Women's Studies Program, Syracuse University,
Thinking Experience, 12th Symposium, International
Association of Women Philosophers, Universiti di Roma, August
- Spring Meeting, Pacific Division, Society for Women in
Philosophy, University of California, Los Angeles, May 6
- Questions in Feminism, UK Society for Women in Philosophy,
University of London, April 28
Sex and Gender: the Future of Women's Studies, Women's
Studies Network (UK) Association 15th Annual Conference, Centre for Women's
Studies, Queen's University, Belfast, September 19-21
Sex and Gender: Rethinking Feminist Philosophy,
Canadian Society for Women in Philosophy, University of Alberta,
- Abel, Elizabeth, and Emily Abel, eds. The Signs Reader:
Women, Gender and Scholarship. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1983.
- Barrett, Michele, and Anne Phillips, eds. Destabilizing Theory:
Contemporary Feminist Debates. Stanford: Stanford UP, 1992.
- Belsey, Catherine, and Jane Moore, eds. The Feminist
Reader: Essays in Gender and the Politics of Literary Theory.
Oxford: Blackwell, 1998.
Cudd, Ann E., and Robin O. Andreasen, eds. Feminist Theory:
a Philosophical Anthology. Oxford: Blackwell, 2005.
Gatens, Moira. Feminism and Philosophy: Perspectives on
Difference and Equality. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1991.
Gould, Carol, ed. Beyond Domination.
Totowa, New Jersey: Rowman and Littlefield, 1983.
Griffiths, Morwena, and Margaret Whitford,
eds. Feminist Perspectives in Philosophy.
Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1988.
Haslanger, Sally, and Elizabeth Hackett, eds.
Theorizing Feminisms. Oxford: OUP, 2005.
Humm, Maggie, ed. Modern Feminisms.
New York: Columbia UP, 1992.
- Jackson, S., and J. Jones, eds. Contemporary Feminist
Theories. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP, 1998.
- Jaggar, Allison, and Paula Rothenberg, eds. Feminist
Frameworks: Alternative Theoretical Accounts of the Relations Between
Women and Men. 3rd Edition. McGraw-Hill, 1993.
- Joeres, Ruth-Ellen, and Barbara Laslett, eds. The Second
Signs Reader: Feminist Scholarship, 1983-1996. Chicago: U of
Chicago P, 1986.
- Kemp, Sandra, and Judith Squires, eds. Feminisms.
Oxford: OUP, 1998.
Kolmar, Wendy, and Frances Bartowski, eds. Feminist
Theory: a Reader. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
Kourany, Janet, James P. Sterba, and Rosemary Tong, eds.
Problems, Theories, and Applications. Prentice Hall, 1998.
Mahowald, Mary, ed. The
Philosophy of Woman: an Anthology of Classic to Contemporary Concepts.
Indianapolis: Hackett, 1994.
Malson, Micheline R., Jean F. O'Barr, Sarah
Westphal-Wihl, and Mary Wyer, eds. Feminist Theory in
Practice and Process. Chicago: U of Chicago P. 1986.
- Midgley, Mary, and Judith Hughes, eds. Women's
Choices: Philosophical Problems Facing Women. London: Wedenfeld
and Nicolson, 1983.
Mitchell, Juliet, and Ann Oakley, eds. What is
Feminism? A Re-examination. New York: Pantheon, 1986.
Nicholson, Linda J., ed. The Second Wave: a Reader in
Feminist Theory. London: Routledge, 1997.
- Rossi, Alice S., ed. The Feminist
Papers: from Adams to de Beauvoir. Boston: Northeastern UP, 1988.
- Schneir, Miriam, ed. Feminism in Our Time: the Essential Writings, World War II to
the Present. New York: Vintage, 1994.
- Schneir, Miriam, ed. Feminism: the
Essential Historical Writings. New York: Vintage, 1992.
Tuana, Nancy, and Rosemarie Tong, Rosemarie, eds.
Philosophy: Essential Readings in Theory, Reinterpretation, and Application.
Boulder: Westview, 1995.
- Selected Individual Works:
- Bar On, Bat-Ami. Modern Engendering: Critical Feminist Readings
in Modern Western Philosophy. Albany: SUNY Press, 1994.
- Benhabib, Seyla, Judith Butler, Drucilla Cornell, Nancy Fraser, and Linda
J. Nicholson. Feminist Contentions: a Philosophical Exchange.
London: Routledge, 1995.
- Cole, Eve Browning. Philosophy and Feminist Criticism: an
Introduction. New York: Paragon, 1993.
Frye, Marilyn. The Politics of Reality: Essays in Feminist Theory.
Trumansburg: Crossing, 1983.
Frye, Marilyn. The Wilful Virgin. Freedom, Cal.: Crossing,
Gatens, Moira. Feminism and Philosophy:
Perspectives on Difference and Equality. London: Polity, 1991.
SOURCES: SECONDARY (SURVEYS)
- Andermahr, Sonya, et al., eds. Concise Glossary of Feminist Theory.
- Code, Lorraine, ed. Encyclopedia of Feminist
Theories. London: Routledge, 2000.
- Felski, Rita, ed. The
Gender of Modernity. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap, 1995.
Fricker, Miranda, and Jennifer Hornsby, eds. Cambridge Companion to Feminism in Philosophy. Cambridge: CUP,
- Gamble, Sarah, ed. The Routledge Companion to Feminism and Postfeminism.
London: Routledge, 2002.
Hirsch, Marianne, and Evelyn Fox Keller, eds. Conflicts
in Feminism. London: Routledge, Chapman and Hall, 1990.
- Humm, Maggie, ed. The Dictionary of Feminist Theory.
Ohio State UP, 1990.
- Jaggar, Allison, and Iris Marion Young, eds. A Companion to Feminist
Philosophy. Oxford: Blackwell, 1998.
- Waithe, Mary Ellen, ed. Contemporary Women Philosophers, 1900 - Today. Vol. 4
of A History of Women Philosophers. Dordrecht:
Kluwer Academic, 1994.
- Warnock, Mary, ed.
London: J. M. Dent, 1996.
Weed, Elizabeth, ed. Coming to Terms: Feminism,
Theory, Politics. London: Routledge, 1989.
- Selected Individual Works:
- Beasley, Chris. What is Feminism? an Introduction to
Feminist Theory. London: Sage, 1999.
Cavallaro, Dani. French Feminist Theory.
London: Continuum, 2003.
- Donovan, Josephine. Feminist Theory: the Intellectual
Traditions of American Feminism. London: Continuum, 2000.
- Evans, Judith. Feminist Theory Today: an Introduction to
Second Wave Feminism. London: Sage, 1995.
- Freedman, Estelle. No Turning Back: the History of Feminism and
the Future of Women. Ballantine, 2003.
Glover, David, and Cora Kaplan. Genders.
London: Routledge, 2000.
Kersey, Ethel M.
Women Philosophers: a Bio-Critical Sourcebook. Westport, CT:
King, Katie. Theory in its Feminist Travels:
Conversations in U.S. Women's Movements. Bloomington: Indiana UP,
Tong, Rosemarie Putnam. Feminist
Thought. Boulder: Westview, 1989. 2nd Ed. 1998.
Treichler, Paula, and Cheris Kramarae. The Feminist
Baehr, Amy R.:
Feminism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
The Failure of Feminism Chronicle of Higher Education February 24, 2006
Differences Between the Sexes the Mismeasure of Woman Economist
August 3, 2006
Ideology and Culture of Philosophy: Not by Reason (Alone)
Haslanger, Sally, and Nancy Tuana: Topics
in Feminism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Philosophy and Sexism
Inside Higher Ed September 10, 2007
Feminist Perspectives on Sex and Gender
Stanford Encyclopedia of
Philosophy May 12, 2008.
Comparative Bibliography of Women in Philosophy
Scott, Bonnie Kime:
Feminist Theory and Criticism 2: Anglo-American Feminisms
(Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism)
Sommers, Christina Hoff:
Intersections Between Pragmatist and Continental Feminism (Stanford
Encylopedia of Philosophy)
to Feminism (Stanford Encylopedia of Philosophy)
Intersections Between Analytic and Continental Feminism (Stanford
Encylopedia of Philosophy)