(ANALYTIC) PHILOSOPHY OF LITERATURE
Literature, History, Cognition,
Departments of French and Philosophy, University of Nottingham,
Language, Truth, and Literature, Department of Philosophy,
University of Liverpool, June 7
- Philosophy in Literature, University of Vaasa, Finland,
Theory / Styling Theory, Inaugural International Literary
Criticism and Theory Conference
Series, Department of English, University of Malta, November
- The Surplus of Culture: Sense,
Common-Sense, Non-Sense, Institute of English Cultures and
University of Silesia, September 16-20
- Genre and Interpretation, Finnish
Literary Society and Finnish Graduate School of Literary
Studies, Helsinki, June 10–12
Association for the Empirical Study of Literature and Media,
University of Memphis, July 8-11
Global Arts, Local Knowledge,
International Association of Philosophy and Literature, Melbourne, June
Philosophy and Literature / Literature and Philosophy, Inaugural
Conference, Centre for Literature and Philosophy, University of Sussex,
Character and Emotions, Swiss Center for Affective Sciences,
Université de Genevč, April 25
Philosophy of Literature, Ratio Conference 2008, University of
Reading, April 12
- Poets Reading Philosophy / Philosophers Reading Poetry,
Centre for Research in Philosophy, Literature, and the Arts , University
of Warwick, October 26-28
Future Literature, Future Art: Probing the Boundaries of Criticism,
Cracow, Poland, November 30-December 2
Textual Scholarship and the Material Book: Comparative Approaches,
European Society for Textual Scholarship, Institute of English Studies
and the Institute of Classical Studies, School of Advanced Study,
University of London, November 23-25
2006 Conference, Association of Literary Scholars and Critics (ALSC),
Hotel Sir Francis Drake, San Francisco, California, October 13-15
In Search of (Non)Sense:
Literary Semantics and the Related Fields and Disciplines,
International Association of Literary Semantics, Institute of English
Philology, Jagiellonian University of Kraków, Poland, October 12-14
Unpacking the Library: Literatures and their Archives, English
Colloquia Series, University of Westminister, June 10
Literature, the Literary and the Literal, Department of Philosophy,
University of York, June 8
Con/texts of Invention, Society for Critical Exchange, Case Western
Reserve University, April 20-23
Aesthetics, Cornell University, April 6-8
- New Directions in Critical Theory, University of Arizona,
Culture, Centre for Textual Culture, Literature and Technology,
University of Stirling, July 19-20
- Music, Poetry and Sense Experience, New Languages for
Criticism: Cross-currents and Resistances and the Centre de Recherches sur
les Arts et le Langage (CRAL), École des Hautes Etudes et Sciences Sociales
(EHESS), Paris, June 10-11
Literature, Future Criticism, Prague, Czech Republic, March 17-19
Poetry and Belief, Centre for Research in Philosophy
and Literature, University of Warwick, February 25
and Imagination, Department of Philosophy, University of Sheffield,
Congreso Internacional de Teoria y Critica Literaria, Centro de
Estudios de Teoria y Critica literaria, Universidad Nacional de Rosario,
Argentina, August 18-20
Theories, Critiques, Department of Critical Theory and Cultural Studies, University of Nottingham, April
Now: a One Day Conference in Memory of Antony Easthope, Department
of English, Manchester Metropolitan University, October 4
Reconciling "Anglistik": Didactic Strategies for
an Interdisciplinary Approach to Literature, Linguistics and Cultural
Studies, Universität Trier, Germany, October 2-4
Radicality, Criticism and Reality: Considering the Past,
the Present and the Future of Challenging Critiques, Centre for Critical
Practice, School of English, University of Central England, September 27
Languages for Criticism: In(ter)discipline, Centre for Research in
the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, Sidney Sussex College,
University of Cambridge, September 19-21
Theory? Université de Paris X (Nanterre) and the Centre for Critical and Cultural
Theory, University of Wales, Cardiff, June 19-21
Now: a Conference in Memory of Antony Easthope, Department of
Metropolitan University, June 28-30
- Bolling, Doug, ed. Philosophy and Literature.
- Davies, David, and Carl Matheson, eds. Contemporary Readings in
the Philosophy of Literature. Peterborough, ONT: Broadview, 2005.
- Fox, Richard, ed. Readings in Philosophy and Literature.
- John, Eileen, and Dominic McIver Lopes, eds. The Philosophy of
Literature: Classic and Contemporary Readings. Oxford: Blackwell,
- Lamarque, Peter, ed. Philosophy and Fiction: Essays in Literary
Aesthetics. Aberdeen: Aberdeen UP, 1983.
- Thompson, Peter, ed. Philosophy and Literature: Truth, Beauty,
Goodness, Commitment. Harcourt College, 1969. Rpt. 2001.
Selected Individual Works:
- Currie, Gregory. The Nature of Fiction. Cambridge: CUP,
- Davies, David.
London: Continuum, 2007.
- Dasenbrock, Reed Way. Truth and Consequences: Intentions,
Conventions, and the New Thematics. University Park: Pennsylvania
State UP, 2001.
- Eldridge, Richard.
Life, and Modernity.
New York: Columbia UP, 2008.
Ellis, John. The Theory of Criticism: a Logical
Analysis. Berkeley: U of California P, 1977.
- Lamarque, Peter. The Philosophy of Literature.
Oxford: Blackwell, 2009.
- Lamarque, Peter. Fictional Points of View. Ithaca:
Cornell UP, 1996.
- Lamarque, Peter, and Stein Haugom Olsen. Truth, Fiction and
Literature. Oxford: OUP, 1994.
- New, Christopher.
Philosophy of Literature: an Introduction.
London: Routledge, 1999.
- Olsen, Stein Haugom. The End of Literary Theory.
Cambridge: CUP, 1987.
- Olsen, Stein Haugom. The Structure of Literary Understanding.
Cambridge: CUP, 1985.
Uhlmann, Anthony. Thinking in Literature:
Joyce, Woolf, Nabokov. London: Continuum, 2011.
Follow Fiction: a Syncretistic Account of Fictional Entities.
Dordrecht: Springer, 2006.
- Griffiths, A. Phillips, ed. Philosophy and Literature.
Cambridge: CUP, 1984.
- Jost, Walter, and Kenneth Dauber, eds.
Language Criticism: Literary Thinking after Cavell after Wittgenstein.
Afterword by Stanley Cavell. Evanston, IL: Northwestern UP, 2003.
- Rudrum, David, ed. Literature
and Philosophy: a Guide to Contemporary
Debates. London: Palgrave-Macmillan,
- Baldwin, Robert C., and James A. S. McPeek. An Introduction to
Philosophy through Literature. New York: Ronald, 1950.
- Davies, David. The Philosophy of Literature.
Peterborough, ON: Broadview,
- Hahn, Stephen. On Philosophy in Literature. Belmont:
- Johnson, Charles W. Philosophy in Literature. Emtext,
- Klieman, Lowell, and Stephen Lewis. Philosophy: an Introduction through Literature.
New York: Paragon, 1992.
- Kolenda, Konstantin. Philosophy in literature: Metaphysical
Darkness and Ethical Light. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1982.
- Kuhns, Richard Francis. Structures of Experience: Essays on the Affinity between
Philosophy and Literature. New York: Basic, 1970.
- Martin, Graham Dunstan. Language, Truth, and Poetry: Notes Towards a Philosophy of Literature. New York: Columbia UP, 1980.
- Muller, Gustav Emil. Philosophy of Literature. Ayer,
Murdoch, Iris. Existentialists and Mystics:
Writings on Philosophy and Literature. London: Chatto and
- New, Christopher. Philosophy of Literature: an Introduction.
London: Routledge, 1999.
- Porter, Burton F. Philosophy Through Fiction and Film.
Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 2003.
- Rickman, H. P. Philosophy in Literature. Fairleigh
Ross, Julian L. Philosophy in Literature.
Syracuse: Syracuse UP, 1949.
Rowe, M. M. Philosophy and Literature: a Book of
Essays. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2004.
Skilleas, Ole Martin. Philosophy and Literature: an
Introduction. New York: Columbia UP, 2001.
- Miller, Eugene M., and Edmund J. Thomas, eds. Writers and
Philosophers: a Sourcebook of Philosophical Influences on Literature.
New York: Greenwood, 1990.
- Tschumi, Raymond. A Philosophy of Literature. Dufour,
- Weitz, Morris. Philosophy in Literature: Shakespeare, Voltaire, Tolstoy,
Proust. Detroit: Wayne State UP, 1963.
UNIVERSITY PROGRAMMES / RESEARCH CENTRES / RESEARCH
- Central Europe:
- Northern Europe:
- Southern Europe:
- University of Essex:
- University of Sussex:
- University of Warwick: